Parks & Rec News - Pickleball and Soccer
P&R NEWS 8/31/20
This week's notes:
Good morning St. George! Here is this week's news:
Racquet sports updates:
Pickleball - its been great to see all the use of the court at the school this summer. Beginning Tuesday, Septembe 8th the school court will only be open before 8 AM and after 4:30 PM on school days. It will be open dawn to dusk on weekends. But....
Tennis Courts - the town courts will be closed the week of September 21 for the courts to be resurfaced. Barring weather setbacks they will reopen Monday September 28th.
When they do, Court 2 will also have two new pickleball courts painted in!
There will be a sign up sheet for Court 2 as it will now have both tennis and pickleball lines. There will be portable nets at the courts for use. As with the school court, we thank you for your courteous use of the facilities as you put back what you use.
Fall youth recreation programs
Online registration is now open on the Parks and Recreation web page. Go to stgeorgemaine.com
Once there, go to Departments, click on Parks and Recreation, then see the Youth Sports Registration link on the left of the screen.
Parents are welcome to register their children for basketball and baseball/softball as well. Of course at this point, we can only speculate what those programs will look like.
Fall Youth Soccer:
After consultation with school and town officials, we will be using an intramural model for soccer this fall, rather than traveling to other towns for games. For those wondering what that might look like, it will be similar to what we have used for K-2 basketball for the past several years. The beginning will be skills work and individual competitions, followed by small sided games with the participants that are there. Our hope is that we can offer a soccer program here that will be fun, instructional while continuing to observe safe practices that will maintain good health for players, families and volunteers. Let's cover the important information in a FAQ format.
1. When will the soccer program be offered?
-Saturdays only - 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/17
2. What time on Saturday?
- K-2 9:00-10:00
- 3-4 10:30-11:30
- 5-6 12:00-1:00
3. What safety rules and guidelines will be in place?
- Parents will be asked to fill out a brief pre-screening questionnaire on Saturday mornings for their child
- Players will all have a separate place ( marked by a cone) to set their water bottle, ball and gear if any, rather than have player benches.
- All coaches will wear face coverings
- No throw ins - balls out of bounds will be played in with a pass. Players will be asked to not handle the soccer balls at all.
- Soccer balls will be sanitized prior to sessions.
- Parents will be asked to physically distance, and if unable to, wear a face covering
4. Where is this program being held? All sessions are at the Big Ball Field.
In closing, I want to thank all parents and children in advance for their patience and cooperation while we work together to provide programs during this pandemic. We can make it go if we work together.
BEN VAIL, P&R DIRECTOR